- Course marked as Passed or Failed. Not Complete/ Incomplete.
- A Failed status will only be sent on the final attempt being failed. Until the final attempt is used then the status should appear as 'in progress' on the LMS.
- Prevent the Learner from manually resetting their attempts by exiting/resuming the course. The course must guarantee the learner has only had the specified amount of attempts.
How: In this example the course consists of a Menu topic and an Assessment Topic. The Learner can have x3 attempts at passing the assessment. If the Learner exits the course part way through the assessment this will count as an attempt. They will only reach the Assessment Results screen if they pass OR fail the final attempt. The Learner's LMS record will then show either Passed or Failed
Initial Menu Topic Setup
Add standard Buttons to the Menu topic, one for each assessment attempt. You will also need to add an additional Button that will display if the Learner fails the final assessment. We've named this button RESULTS
Note: it is important to use standard Buttons and not Menu Buttons here as a number of actions will be added to the Buttons
Initial Assessment Topic Setup
1. Add 1 screen for each question, a Post Assessment screen & an Assessment Results screen.
2. In the Post Assessment screen, add Buttons for the number of retakes the Learner can have. (in this example the learner has 3x attempts at the assessment, so 2x retakes). Add another Button to display if the Learner passes the assessment (named Results)
3. In the Assessment Results screen add an Assessment results asset with the following options;
- High/Basic pass marks
- Tick Is tracked assessment & Sets course completion
- Set Type of course completion to be Passed/Failed
Add Variables for each of the Buttons in the Menu topic. Set the Default Value = Y for the first assessment variable. Set the Default Value = N for the rest.
Note: Please ensure that the Persist Variable field is set to true for all variables
Advanced Menu Topic Setup
1. Add Display Conditions for each of the Buttons in the Menu topic
2. Set a Display Condition so that each Button will only display when the corresponding Variable = Y. In this example the Assessment attempt 1 button will only display when the Assessment_1 variable = Y
3. Select Actions for each of the Assessment attempt Buttons
4. Add three Actions to each of the Assessment attempt Buttons. In this example we see the actions for the Assessment attempt 1 button
- Link the button to the Assessment topic. This will take the learner to the 1st screen in the assessment topic
- Set the Variable for the current Menu button = N
- Set the Variable for the next Menu button = Y
Result: The Learner clicks Assessment attempt 1 button. They are taken to the Assessment topic. The next time they return to the Menu the Assessment attempt 1 button will be replaced by Assessment attempt 2 button. If they return again they will see Assessment attempt 3 & if they return for a final time they will see the RESULTS button
Note: For Assessment attempt 3 set the RESULTS Variable = Y
5, Add one Action to the RESULTS button.
- Link the button to the Assessment Results screen.
Result: The button appears if the Learner fails all assessment attempts. The Learner clicks the RESULTS button and is directed to the Assessment Results screen. This automatically registers a Fail
Advanced Assessment Topic Setup
1. Add an Action to the Retake buttons in the Post Assessment Screen.
2. Set the action to link to the Menu topic.
3. Add two display conditions to the Retake buttons.
- Topic score: set this to be less than the basic pass mark for the Assessment topic
- User variable: link this to the relevant variable. e.g. the Retake 1 button will only show when the Assessment_1 variable is set to Y
Result: The Retake button will display when the learner achieves less than a pass score in the assessment and the relevant variable is active
4. For Retake 2 button set the User variable to be Assessment_2 = Y
5. Add an Action to the Results button.
6. Set the Action to link to the Assessment Results Screen
7. Add two display conditions to the Results button, ensuring the Any condition is set (highlighted)
- User variable: set this to display if the RESULTS variable = Y
- Topic score: set this to greater than or equal to the basic pass mark for the Assessment topic
Result: The Results button will display when the learner achieves a pass score in the assessment OR they fail the assessment for the final time
Additional Design Notes
1. Control how the learner navigates through the assessment by deactivating the Next/Back arrows in the question screens and using Question actions: https://gomolearning.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/11000081764-question-actions
2. Ensure the Menu & Table of Contents Navigation Extras are unticked. This will prevent the learner from exiting the assessment using these options